COVETING A LITTLE CONTENTMENT!?
Guest speaker: Roger Dill
Edgewater Covenant Church May 25, 2008
I. HOW MUCH IS ENOUGH?
Human desires are like the world of the dead. There is always room for more-Proverbs 27:10 (GN).
II. THE CONFESSIONS OF A FORMER CAR SALESMAN
When the Woman saw that the tree looked like good eating and realized what she would get out of it -she’d know everything!-she took and ate the fruit and then gave some to her husband, and he ate–Genesis 3:6 (The Message). BEWARE THE PHYCHOLOGY OF ETHER!
Thus marks the birth of the “Age of Materialism!”
DEFINITION: 1. Philosophy-the theory that physical matter is the only reality and that everything, including thought, feeling, mind and will, can be explained in terms of matter and physical phenomena, 2. The theory or attitude that physical well-being & worldly possessions constitute the greatest good & highest value in life.
In more personal terms, “You may be a Materialist if you believe that…”
- I AM WHAT I DRIVE
- I AM WHAT I _____________.
- I AM WHAT I ________________.
- I AM WHAT I ________________.
- I AM WHAT I SPEND
- I AM ________________ or I AM _______________________..
MY NET-WORTH EQUALS MY ___________—____________!
III. COVETING IS THE GATEWAY TO MATERIALISM
You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.-Exodus 20:17 (NIV).
The Influenza Epidemic of 1918 vs. The Affluenza Pandemic of 2008
AFFLUENZA’S SYMPTOMS (See Ecclesiastes 5: 10-17):
- FATIGUE: Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich; be wise enough to control yourself.-Proverbs 23:4 (NCV).
- DEBT: The rich rule over the poor and the borrower becomes the lender’s slave.-Proverbs 22:7 (NASB).
- WORRY: Hard and honest work earns a good night’s sleep, whether supper is beans or steak. But a rich man’s belly gives him insomnia-Ecclesiastes 5:12 (The Message)
- CONFLICT: Do you know where your fights and arguments come from? They come from the selfish desires that war within you –James 4:1 (NCV)
- DISSATISFACTION: Whoever loves money never has money enough, whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with his income.-Ecclesiastes 5:10 (NIV)
IV. THE CURE OF CONTENTMENT (See Philippians 4:10-19).
Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have-Hebrews 13:5 (GN)
A. GAIN A CLEAR _____________________.
I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.-Philippians 4:11, 12 (NIV).
B. DEVELOPING ABSOLUTE DEPENDENCE IN THE _____________________
I can do all things through him who gives me strength.-Philippians 4:13 (NIV).
C. SET CLEAR ___________________.
…you sent me aid again and again when I was in need…I have received from Epaphroditus the gifts you sent. They are a fragrant offering, an acceptable sacrifice, pleasing to God… -Philippians 4: 16b, 18b (NIV).
The purpose of tithing is to teach you to always put God first-Deuteronomy 14:23
D. ENJOY THE _______________________________!
Not that I am looking for a gift, but I am looking for what may be credited to you account…And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.-Philippians 4:17a, 19 (NIV).
V. FINAL WORD:
What is one thing that you can do to begin to learn the secret of contentment? Will you start today?